Thursday, July 23, 2009

What Is Your Motivation?

What is your motivation for being fit? For me it’s to feel good and have a decent cardio level to enjoy physical activities such as motocross or the occasional basketball game. I have friends and co-workers are motivated to get fit and are looking for training suggestions. I will offer a few ideas involving cardio and lifting weights. I will say cardio is a great way to shed the pounds – especially running, and the conversation takes a dramatic turn.
I once had this very conversation with a coworker. He wanted to drop about 30lbs and get in shape for motocross. I told him that running and cycling was a great way to train. He said, “yeah but I have bad knees.” I looked puzzled at this 30 year old male with no apparent physical ailment. He in turn looks at me with the same matter of fact expression that Grandpa had when he explained he couldn’t go near a microwave because of his new pacemaker. He repeated, ‘’I have bad knees.’’ Really? Did you have knee surgery? No. Do you think you need surgery? No. Have you confirmed your problem with a doctor? No. He continued to look at me with a hollow expression like it was day three of looking for ‘ol Yeller and still no trace. “My knees hurt when I run,” he explained. Now I am not a physician nor do I play one on T.V., but I have an idea of what is going on here. Consider this; it may be no coincidence that weight gain + time + inactivity = painful knees….just a thought. However, this individual chalked it up to age and age alone, letting him believe that cardio was out of the question. But let’s look at it this way: we have the same skeleton that we had when we were 18 years old and weighed 165 lbs. Now year’s later and 50lbs heavier, our joints are under a bit more stress. Naturally there will be pain or stiffness associated with exercising, which is a good reason to take it slow in the beginning and seek out professional advice. But all too often people let perceived obstacles become their roadblock, and never move beyond the conversation of fitness. In the case of my co-worker, he never got past his knee issue despite the fact that he belonged to a gym that provided several low-impact cardio options to choose from. He still tells me he wants to lose weight, but is still not going to the gym or improving his diet.
I had a tri-athlete buddy of mine that never skipped a workout regardless of how he felt (within reason). But he didn’t work out for tri-athilons; he worked out because he loved surfing. I guess it really comes back to motivation. If the motivation is strong, then we will find a way to get over the hurdle. So what is your motivation?